All Summer Long is the sixth studio album by The Beach Boys and their second in 1964. Recorded in the aftermath of the British Invasion, spearheaded by The Beatles, the album marked a major turning point in The Beach Boys' career, and in leader/prime songwriter Brian Wilson as an artist.
All Summer Long hit #4 in the US during a 49 week chart stay. Songs from this album are also featured on the EP Four by the Beach Boys.
A summer feel permeates the cover of this album, with a series of candid snapshots mounted into a montage. Photography was credited to both Kenneth Veeder and George Jerman (who had taken the photographs for the bands earlier albums) but it remains unclear as to who took the color pictures on the front of the sleeve, or the black and white studio shots on the reverse. The location for the shoot was once again Paradise Cove, north of Malibu, the same location used for the Surfin' Safari sleeve. However, whilst it appears that all five band members were present for the session only Brian, Carl, Dennis and Mike were photographed on the sand (along with the two girls, in various outfits) - Al was absent that day for unknown reasons and his images were added at a later date.
On first pressings of the LP, the song "Don't Back Down" is misprinted as "Don't Break Down" on the front cover. This version of the LP sleeve also has the song titles printed in the same mustard-colored ink as the album title. Subsequent printings with the typo corrected have the song titles printed in black.
- Side one
- "I Get Around" - 2:14
- "All Summer Long" - 2:08
- "Hushabye" (Doc Pomus/Mort Shuman) - 2:41
- "Little Honda" - 1:52
- "We'll Run Away" (B. Wilson/Gary Usher) - 2:02
- "Carl's Big Chance" (B. Wilson/Carl Wilson) - 2:03
- Side two
- "Wendy" - 2:21
- "Do You Remember?" - 1:40
- "Girls on the Beach" - 2:28
- "Drive-In" - 1:49
- "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" (B. Wilson/Dennis Wilson/C. Wilson/Love/Al Jardine) - 2:00
- "Don't Back Down" - 1:52
The Beach Boys
- Al Jardine – harmony and backing vocals; bass guitar; electric rhythm guitar
- Mike Love – lead and bass vocal
- Brian Wilson – lead, harmony and backing vocals; piano; electric piano, harpsichord; Hammond B3 organ; xylophones or marimba
- Carl Wilson – harmony and backing vocals, lead and rhythm guitars
- Dennis Wilson – lead, harmony and backing vocals; drums; brushed drums; percussion; opening voice on "Little Honda"
Session musicians and technical staff
- Hal Blaine – timbales with brush, rim with thin stick
- Bob (surname unknown) – engineer on "Girls On the Beach"
- Chuck Britz – engineer
- Glen Campbell – 6-string electric bass guitar
- Steve Douglas – tenor saxophone
- Jay Migliori – baritone saxophone
- Ray Pohlman – 6-string electric bass guitar
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at All Summer Long. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with this wiki, the content of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.